I might have had better odds of owning a winning Powerball ticket, given the way the previous twelve months had unfolded. Bathroom Basin Tap LED Light 3 color Changing Bird Nest Chrome Single Hole Hot Cold Mixer Toilet Sink FaucetNavy bluee King Elegant Comfort Wrinkle Resistant - Silky Soft Dobby Stripe Bed-in-a-Bag 8-Piece Comforter Set -Hypoallergenic - King Burgundy But somehow there I was in mid-July, stepping up to the baseline to serve at 9-9 in the decisive supertiebreaker, two points from a berth in the finals of the New England 40-and-over 7.0 competition. Lurking tantalizingly beyond that was the chance to reach a USTA national team tournament for the first time since 2006 (I also made it to Nationals in the Tri-Level competition, which features a single doubles position, in 2014).
Even conceding that nothing worthwhile comes without a struggle, it had been unusually difficult for me to get to that point. I battled plantar fasciitis throughout the summer of 2017 and eventually chose to take two and a half months off from tennis (a very small percentage of the resulting frustrations are detailed in earlier posts). I returned to the game that December and spent two mostly pain-free months slowly recapturing my form and fitness. Then one cold night in February I somehow forgot to pack both my sweat pants, which I warm up in on all but the hottest days, and my compression leggings, XCO XX Bathtub Home Inflatable Tub Adult Folding Plastic Bath Tub Wash Basin Adult Bath Barrel TubKitchen Bath Basin Sink Bathroom Taps Kitchen Sink Taps Bathroom Taps Copper Draw Cold and Hot Water Faucet Ctzl0381a residue of two knee operations which I now wear whenever I play. It was amazing that I remembered my racquet, but I might have been better off forgetting that, too, because about five games into the match my Achilles tendon went “pop” and I was back on the disabled list. Long days and nights teaching and coaching, coupled with insufficient attention to my injuries, meant that by the time my Achilles healed, my foot was hurting once more, and it would continue to hurt all summer long.
I may not have been healthy or well-conditioned or playing the way I wanted to be playing, but I did choose my teams wisely, and those teams carried my 200-plus pounds of competitive deadweight into postseason play on many different fronts. While I wasn’t able to play any qualifying matches for the Keene 8.0 mixed team which had made such a great run to Sectionals in 2017, I did the bare minimum (generally two matches at low lineup positions) to become postseason-eligible for Keene’s 7.0 teams at both the 18-and-over and 40-and-over levels, as well as the Algonquin 4.0 teams in the same age categories. Dyson Cyclone, Assembly Satin Yellow Dc24ZHFC- All copper Black Bronze Bathroom Basin Faucet swivel faucet basin natural bent water waterfall faucetAll four teams were deep and talented enough to finish in the top two in their respective local leagues, and though I played no significant role in those triumphs, I was more than willing to be a part of their postseason runs come summer.
The 18-and-over mixed playoffs came first, but since most of our nucleus of players was over 40, our captain, Chet Porowski, viewed this as a dry run for the older age category and used it mainly to try out different combinations and get everyone some playing time. The result was what we expected, though we hoped for better: we lost all three matches and won just one individual court. I had one winnable match that slipped away in a supertiebreaker and one unwinnable match in which the opponents somehow passed off a recently-graduated Division II college player as a 3.5. Her serve was better than mine, which in men’s competition isn’t saying much but should by itself disqualify a woman from carrying a 3.5 rating. One of our women blew off our finale on Sunday, leaving us shorthanded and requiring Chet to put his considerable diplomatic skills to use when the opposing husband/wife team who were left without a match to play protested vehemently (word to the not-so-wise: just take the free point and shut up, already!). The only other memorable moment came when I mistook the coffee dispenser on the table at IHOP for a syrup dispenser and slathered my pancakes with it. Yep, it was a successful weekend all the way around.
We were convinced things would be different in the 40-and-over division, though, and not without reason. We had essentially the same group of Keene-based players and me as the 18-and-overs, but fewer teams competed in the older age category, and that allowed Chet to skim off some of the female talent from other nearby clubs. He also brought two of his tennis friends onto the team as self-rated 3.0s: one, Tom, was closer to a 4.0 in ability but hadn’t played in organized competition since high school, and the other, Scott, lacked even that background but had the athleticism and power to play like a solid 3.5. Putting them with strong or even mid-range 4.0 women gave us two near-certain points in New Hampshire and two super-competitive courts even at the highest levels of New England tennis. Chet’s longtime partner, Kristen, had been bumped up to 4.0 in November 2017, or we would have had three super-competitive courts, but we still got by most of the time with a patchwork of combinations on the third court, and I was part of that patchwork. I was the only 4.0 man and had two qualified 3.0 partners. Anne was closer to a strong 3.5 but insisted on taking all her own shots- and in mixed doubles, as I have lamented many times previously, almost every ball is hit to the woman unless she is rated a full point higher than her male partner. Factor that in and I may have been better off with my other partner, Jackie, who also happened to be Joe Waldvogel’s daughter. Jackie inherited Joe’s pleasant off-court personality and competitive nature but is much more generous with line calls than her father. Although she excelled in many other sports growing up, Jackie only had about a year of tennis-playing experience, so her game was still closer to a 2.5 than a 3.5, but she was willing to be coached during matches and unafraid of hard-hit balls, and by Sectionals (there are no Districts for 40-and-over since the number of competing teams is smaller) she had also developed an extremely consistent serve. Waterfall Faucet Bathroom Sink Faucet Tap Faucet Bathroom Sink Faucet Tap Bathroom TapPura Small Compact Wall Hung Basin Sink Rounded Ceramic 1 Tap Hole Incl Tap & Clicker Waste
Sectionals were held in mid-July at a handful of clubs in the Boston area, and we first needed to win our round-robin four-team flight. Anne and I played number three against Vermont on Friday, and the match unfolded the way many 7.0 matches do: the opposing woman lobbed with exceptional consistency and called all the close balls “out”, and her male partner blanketed the net and mixed some spectacular smashes with other balls that hit the back curtain on the fly. We made just enough shots and they missed just enough for us to win by a break in each set in a back-and-forth match. The other two matches were also close, but we won both and so went into Saturday with lots of momentum. We built on that momentum with an easy win against a team from the town I was born in (Torrington, CT) and a much more difficult one against Longfellow, a club located in one of Boston’s wealthy western suburbs that had been considered the favorite in our flight. The consensus proved accurate and Longfellow also entered the final match undefeated, but Chet and his partner Sorrell came through in an exciting supertiebreaker, and that sent our team to the knockout rounds with a 2-1 win. HMer Sink taps Contemporary Brass Ti-PVDStandard Textile Chamberloft Down Pillow; Set of 2; Standard Size (20x26 in.)
Eight teams now remained in contention and the elimination rounds were all scheduled for Sunday, meaning we would have to win three matches in about a twelve-hour span to get to Nationals. But all the rotation players on our team were available except Anne, who had gone on vacation after our Friday match, so Chet felt we had as good a chance as anyone. Our quarterfinal matchup would quickly let us know the truth of that, for we were matched up against Cedardale, a giant all-sports club from north of Boston that traditionally fields top-notch mixed teams at all levels. Chet’s plan was to put his strongest lineup out against Cedardale, a slightly weaker one which included Jackie and me in the semifinal, and then the best and healthiest teams left in the final. It didn’t look like that would matter, though, as Cedardale had ringers of their own: a man somehow rated 3.0 and his steady partner decisively beat our veteran duo of Sue and Bruce at number 3. We needed to win both the other matches, and both went to supertiebreakers, and we faced match points in at least one of them, but the teams of Tom and his partner Tina and Scott and his partner Sandy came up huge, and that sent us into the final four. Jackie and I were going to be playing on the big stage. Bud Light Lime Beer Tap Handle Draft Handle Tap MarkerRAK Ceramics Series 600 Bathroom Basin Sink Full Floorstanding Pedestal White
Things had gotten so chaotic by then that it took her a few minutes to sort out all that she had somehow not heard before. She ended up retroactively giving The Jerk a point penalty and Eric Morrow on the next court a warning for an explicit recounting of The Jerk’s behavior. When the match finally resumed under the judge’s watchful gaze, The Jerk stopped going nuts. He stopped winning, too. It wasn’t rocket science: when they were able to just play tennis, the better tennis player had the advantage, and Zack dominated the last few points. It had been a battle- almost a literal one, at that- but in the end we had achieved our dream. We were going to Nationals! To punch our ticket by finally breaking the Portland jinx made it all the sweeter, but it was plenty sweet regardless, and we celebrated accordingly. The rest of the day passed in a blur as we went from Williston-Northampton to the main tournament site at Mount Holyoke College for pictures, high fives, hugs and USTA-New England champion glasses. I loved the chemistry on our team and was thrilled to be a part of it, even though I hadn’t contributed as much on the court as I would have liked. Given the injuries I’ve dealt with over the past few years, the sad reality is that I’m clearly much closer to the end of my competitive career than I am to the beginning. It won’t be much of a surprise if October’s trip to Arlington, Texas represents my last experience at a USTA national tournament. But many avid players don’t get to make a trip like that even once, so there’s no doubt I’ve been blessed to be three times lucky.
- ETERNAL QUALITY Bathroom Sink Basin Tap Brass Mixer Tap Washroom Mixer Faucet The whole countryside antique faucet bronze basin surface basin cold water tap to redate the
- GZF Shower Faucet - Traditional Antique Brass Shower System Ceramic Valve
- Mud Pie 4075140 Happy Everything Lazy Susan Kitchenware, 2.25 x 16.5 diameter, White
- Kitchen Sink Taps Bathroom Sink Taps Water Droplet Single Hole Basin Faucet Copper Faucet Mixing Valve Basin Hot And Cold Water Faucet
- CFHJN HOME Taps Washbasin Faucet European Faucet Basin Hot And Cold Topaz Marble Above Counter Basin Faucet Copper gold Washbasin Faucet
- Basin Faucetkitchen Washing Basin Hot and Cold Water Faucet Can Be redated A Small Bend.
- Now House by Jonathan Adler Grided Vase, White
- JONATHAN Y JYL6007A Floor Lamp, 16.0 x 65.0 x 16.0 , Brass gold Black with White Shade
- Brass Hot and Cold Chrome Plating Faucet Water Power Basin Mixer Solid Brass Chrome Plated Temperate Display Faucet
- YHSGY Bathroom Sink Taps Basin Faucets golden Copper Mixer Taps Single Hole Sink Faucet Washbasin
- Purple King Tribeca Living VENICEDUVETQUEG Venice Velvet Oversized Solid Duvet Set, Queen, Emerald Green
- - Cell-Aire Polyethylene Foam Packaging, 1 8 Thick, 12 x 175ft Roll
- Gyps Faucet Basin Mixer Tap Waterfall Faucet Antique Bathroom Mixer Bar Mixer Shower Set Tap antique bathroom faucet The copper 5-Piece Bath Faucet split 5-hole Faucet，Modern Bath Mixer Tap Bathroom
- HOHIYA Wall Teacups and Saucer Display Easel Rack Stand Holder Wire (Black, Pack of 2)
- ZHAOHUI Mattress Predector Breathable Fiber Cotton Hygroscopic Extra Deep Quilted Non-Slip Soft Skin-Friendly, 4 colors, 5 Sizes (color Brown, Size 150X200cm)
- Tatami Mattress,Matt mat,Foldable Mattress,Thick Warm Skin-Friendly Multi-Function Bedroom-H 90x200cm(35x79inch)
- Copper bathroom racks wall mounted corner shelves bathroom double triangular basket drain basket
- TH Bamboo Standing Coat Rack, Free Standing Clothes Rack, Eco-Friendly Hanging Clothes Rack, 7 Hooks Racks 37×170cm (color Yellow disc)
- QIANGDA Wall Mounted Iron Coat Rack Display Shelf Storage Rack Wall Clothing Rack for Home Clothes Shop Vintage Industrial Style, 4 Sizes, Optional (Size 60 x 30 x 29cm)
- Diongrdk Kitchen Sink Taps Brass Bronze Brushed Crane Faucet for Kitchen Single Handle Hole Deck Mounted Mixer Water Taps 360 Degree redation
- Wow Works Cupcake Adult Beanbag Chair (86783A )
- Chrome Moen YB8418BG Weymouth Bath Accessory 18 Inch Brushed gold
- Kitchen fauct 304 Universal Kitchen Faucet Hot and Cold Kitchen Sink Faucet Hot and Cold Taps Caipen (color -, Size -)
- Boardwalk B1840900 Butcher Paper Roll, 18 x 900ft, White
- Hlluya Professional Sink Mixer Tap Kitchen Faucet 大 full copper antique antique basin faucet basin mixer console 6662, antique Faucet
- Steel round sprinkler set (standard upward) SunSui Intelligent copper shading hot or cold bathroom faucet thermostatic shower faucet set solar water mixing valve,Booster shower set (standard upward)
- High-Quality Environment Predecting Hydroelectric PowerLED RGB Brass Chrome Plated Basin Faucet - White+Silver
- 2 DYR Faucet can be stretched Pull Type Basin Faucet All Copper Sink Hot and Cold Faucet Counter Basin With Shower Faucet (color 2)
- 3D pink Micronesia - Tonowas - View of Idyllic Tropical Dublon Island Wall Clock, 15 x 15
- White Modern Minimalist Office Lounge Chair Solid Wood Dining Chair Desk Chair (Size 43 43 80cm)
- JINGB Home Mermaid Knitted Mermaid Tail, pink Red, 195 95CM (76.8 37.4 inch)
- Royal Designs Deep Empire Gather Pleat Basic Lamp Shade, Black, 6 x 12 x 9.25
- Vinteen Single Cold Pot Filler Faucet Wall Mount Kitchen Faucet Brass 360° redatable Folding Lengthened Double Switch Single Hole Sink Kitchen Taps Water-tap (color Black)
- KUNHAN Kitchen Sink Faucet Tap Brass Clean Water 360 Degree redating Water Kitchen Faucet Double Handle Hot And Cold Water Faucet
- Hlluya Professional Sink Mixer Tap Kitchen Faucet The Kitchen cooking pots of cold water faucet water tank, southern security brass faucets
- Gyps Faucet Basin Mixer Tap Waterfall Faucet Antique Bathroom ?All copper pull-down kitchen faucet dish washing basin faucet hot and cold water mixing valve sink brushed telescopic redating taps A